free hit counters

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rowing

After watching some of the rowing events in the Olympics, I was inspired to try to row again (on an ergometer at a YMCA). Usually, when I row, my lower back gets very sore, and tend not to want to row again for a few months. But, last week, I tried rowing without using my lower back as much (that is, without leaning back as far as I used to on my rowing stroke). Problem solved! If I just concentrate on pushing with my legs and pulling with my arms, my torso moves back on its own: I don't have to focus on moving it at all. And, because my lower back isn't (as) sore, I can row for longer periods of time. One of the best parts about rowing on an ergometer is how doing so completely loosens all of my muscles. I imagine the feeling might be similar to what yoga practitioners feel after doing yoga. (Of course, I could be way wrong.) Anyway, the feeling is pleasant.

No comments: