free hit counters

Friday, May 18, 2007

Norman Tuck

When I was about twelve years old, a friend and I went to a local art museum in North Carolina. That museum happened to be hosting an exhibition by an artist named "Norman Tuck," who creates art machine-type sculptures. I was completely amazed and blown away: I especially enjoyed his towering, hand-made clocks, with all of the mechanisms visible. I had always wanted to see more of his work, but never had a chance. Now, I am in San Francisco, working at the Exploratorium, a museum of science, art, and human perception, and, lo and behold, I discover that not only did the Exploratorium show some of Norman Tuck's artworks about ten years ago, but Norman Tuck also lives right here in the Bay Area! I definitely will have to meet him. He's made such a huge impact on me.

No comments: